Sometimes it feels like being in a relationship is the natural state of things and anyone who chooses to be on their own is either selfish, lazy, or pitiable. The proliferation of reality dating shows and dating apps gives the impression that we should all be rushing into the arms of a significant other if we don’t want to die miserable and alone. But being single is just as fulfilling (if not more so) as being in a relationship. Whether you love being single or hope to find a partner someday, here are a few quotes to live by.
1. “Women are like teabags. We don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
So you’ve just gone through a breakup and it feels like your world is falling apart. We’ve all been there. Ask anyone who’s gone through a similar experience and they will tell you how painful it was. But they will also tell you how transformative it was. Do not underestimate your strength and resilience. You will come back from this, more powerful than ever. Remember this quote and others like it when you’re feeling down.
2. “The truth is, no matter how lonely you might feel, you’re never going through anything alone…You can choose your family.” – Jennifer Lopez
If you feel lonely, lean on the people who love you. Your friends and family are there for you.
3. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
Being single is not an affliction, and this is one of those quotes to remind you of just that. It didn’t happen to you. Even if you were dumped, you have the power to change your circumstances. Do not see yourself as a victim. If you do, you will be paralyzed. See yourself as the independent person that you are and you will be able to move mountains. When all the quotes and platitudes aren’t helping you feel better about being single, repeat this to yourself and live by it.
4. “When you are joyful, when you say ‘yes’ to life and have fun and project positivity all around you, you become a sum in the center of every constellation, and people want to be near you.” – Shannon L. Alder
If you’ve been through a breakup or are struggling to find community, remember that you attract people with your presence. If you are defeatist, negative, and isolated, you won’t find friends who lift you up. Be the kind of person you want to be friends with and you’ll be amazed by how quickly you attract like-minded people. Live by quotes like this while you’re single AND in a relationship and you won’t go wrong.
5. “Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life.” – Angelina Jolie
Don’t think about being single as a waiting game. It’s an opportunity to figure out who you are, independent of anyone else. Use that time wisely. Get to know yourself. Eventually, you’ll learn that you are just fine on your own.
6. “Once you figure out what respect tastes like, it tastes better than attention.” – Pink
If your loneliness is pushing you toward an unsatisfying relationship, remember that, unless you are celebrated and respected by your partner, no amount of attention from them will fulfill you.
7. “I want to be around people that do things. I don’t want to be around people anymore that judge or talk about what people do. I want to be around people that dream and support and do things.” – Amy Poehler
You get to choose who you’re surrounded by. If your friends are unsupportive and judgmental, cut them out of your life. If your family won’t accept your life choices, distance yourself. You have the power to be close to people who inspire and uplift you. Choose them. Quotes like this aren’t about being single so much as they are pointing out that a lack of a romantic partner doesn’t mean a life that’s any less full.
More quotes about being single to inspire you
8. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” – Oprah Winfrey
Put yourself out there in whatever way feels authentic to you. If that means trying and failing at a relationship or quitting your job to pursue your dreams, go for it. Your stumbles will make you stronger.
9. “I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story–I will.” – Amy Schumer
No matter what anyone says about you, their opinion does not define you.
10. “Never dull your shine for somebody else.” – Tyra Banks
You should always be yourself, even if that means you’re single for longer than you want to be. If you change yourself so that someone else will find you more attractive, you will never be happy.
11. “It’s far better to be alone than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
It’s unlikely that POTUS #1 was giving dating advice, but it’s highly applicable. If you’re feeling lonely, remember that being in an unhappy relationship is much, much worse than being on your own.
12. “Unless you are a pizza, the answer is yes, I can live without you.” – Bill Murray
It’s all about standards, you know? Of all the quotes about being single included on this list, this one might be the one that hits hardest.
13. “The eyes of others our prisons; their thoughts our cages.” – Virginia Woolf
Don’t get caught up in what other people think of you. This can be really hard, especially if you’re, say, a woman over 30 with no interest in dating or having kids. Be proud of your independence. You’ve managed to escape the tragically narrow confines of the world’s expectations for women.
14. “I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.” – Coco Chanel
While everyone should aspire to be more like Coco Chanel, this quote is particularly relevant for single people who face judgment from people who they don’t respect. That peripheral relative who wants to know when you’re going to get a boyfriend? Irrelevant. That “friend” who pretends to pity you for being single? Irrelevant. Only put stock in the opinions of people who you actually trust and respect.
15. “Friendships between women, as any woman will tell you, are built of a thousand small kindnesses…swapped back and forth and over again.” – Michelle Obama
One of the wonderful aspects of being single is that you can really lean into your friendships. Female friendships are empowering. Take the opportunity of your single status to be the best friend you can be. It will be just as rewarding (and more so) than any romantic relationship could be.
Originally Published: www.bolde.com