How often have you heard “Prevention is better than cure”? Countless times, right? Well, it is indeed true for your health. Needless to say, that you can keep your body healthy and fit with proper measures. This means you need to eat well, exercise properly, and go for regular health checks.
Even though most people are aware of it, not everyone follows this. Eating well and exercising are generally covered under the gym and dieting. So, these are not much of a concern. But as for regular health checkups, many people tend to forget about it or neglect it.
One of the prime causes behind this is because they don’t know when to visit. Luckily, this article can help you get the answer. So, keep on reading!
How Often Should You Visit Your Doctor?
Generally, you should visit your doctor if you feel any symptoms of disease or sickness. Nonetheless, the frequency of Health Check visits varies from person to person as per age, current health status, and risk factors. It is recommended to:
- Visit once every 3 years if you are under 50.
- Visit once a year if you are over 50.
In case you have any chronic disease such as COPD or diabetes, you need to visit the doctor more often regardless of age. As per your health condition, they will instruct you about the next visit.
What Is Included In The Checkup?
The doctor will review your past medical records to understand your current conditions. Besides that, it includes review or update of:
- Your vaccination and screening test history
- Your medications or allergies list
- Your family health history (if seems necessary)
Men and women are typically screened for:
- High blood pressure
- Tobacco use
- Alcohol or drug misuse
- Hepatitis C
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Lung cancer
- Colorectal cancer
What To Expect?
Generally, the nurse will take you to the exam room for:
- Checking the blood pressure and other vital signs.
- Verifying your past medical records and medications.
- Ask about changes in your medical or surgical history since the last visit.
- Screening assessment for alcohol or depression.
After this, the doctor will ask questions based on your reports. It is also the time for you to ask any question that you may have. Once they have reviewed your records, they will perform a thorough physical exam. It includes,
- Listening to your heart, intestine, and lungs using a stethoscope.
- Inspecting the body for any unusual marks.
- Using percussion to check if there is fluid in the area where it shouldn’t be.
- Checking the location, consistency, and tenderness of internal organs.
- Pap test for women between the ages of 21 to 65.
Apart from this, they may perform other tests depending on your health risk and age. Once the exam is over, they will tell you the findings and medications if required.
Regular checkups will ensure that you stay healthy. And if there is any disease, it can be cured or treated on time.
It is essential that you visit the doctor whenever you discover signs of any disease. Besides that, make sure to visit at least once every year. Also, listen to your doctor’s advice and take proper precautions to stay safe and healthy.